Open the contents index
This guide was updated on
If you want to know how to create a blog WordPress you have arrived on the right page. In this guide you will find all the necessary instructions for:
- to understand how to create a WordPress blog structure level
- domain registration, hosting and install WordPress,
- to install the essential tools for the optimal functioning of a blog,
- become a fierce blogger, and ready to conquer the net
If it is already clear to you what WordPress is, we just have to start. But first it is good to understand what you must necessarily pay and what you can get for free at this stage.
In fact, you’ll see that with wl-creative-work”>WordPress and our advice you can easily create a blog and also showcase or eCommerce sites to start selling online immediately, but you will be forced to spend a few tens of euros to get one web space, that is: a service hosting that will host your web project.
Although you can get your web domain for free, or choose the theme graphic of your website among those offered for free by WordPress, the provider – also called hosting – it will be the only essential requirement that you will have to pay, and in this article we recommend the best cheap WordPress hosting and more.
Needless to say, we didn’t just choose the services hosting cheaper but also the best currently in use.
Create a WordPress blog
There are many people who want create a WordPress blog, and who work for days on the design and configuration of the theme, and then abandon it after a couple of posts.
Often, this happens for lack of motivation, ideas or simply time.
I therefore advise you to identify well:
- The brand and the message of your blog: What will the look of your site be, the style of communication, the message you want to convey?
- The first posts you will write: When you manage a blog for a long time, sometimes you find yourself running out of ideas. To validate your idea and be sure you have enough content to support the blog in the first few months of existence, write a list of 50 titles.
Once these things are done, you are ready to go to practice.
Create a blog with WordPress.com or WordPress.org?
One of the mistakes most often made by those who want create a WordPress blog is to register your site on the .com platform instead of using the .org version.
The .com version of WordPress is completely different from the .org.
The first does not involve the purchase of a plan hosting. The sites are in fact hosted on server WordPress (for this reason it is called “hosted“). This places significant limitations on the changes and customizations that can be made to your site.
The alternative is the .org version – of which all the guides present here on Websites Are Us speak. The .org version is in fact a free software that can be downloaded and installed on your space server. There are also no restrictions on what you can do on your site.
This guide refers to the .org version of WordPress. If you want to further explore this topic and the differences between the two versions, I recommend reading the guide “Do you know the differences between WordPress.com and WordPress.org?”.
You can also watch the video introduction of our WordPress video course to get more ideas, or consult our brand new video courses to create and manage a blog in WordPress.
Well, now we are ready to get started create your blog WordPress!
What will you need to create a WordPress blog?
There are three basic elements you will need:
- Plan of hosting
As you can see, some of the things they serve for create a blog WordPress they are not free.
So how much will it cost you to start your site?
In most cases, the first year costs between 130 and 140 euros. For a detailed analysis of the costs, I refer you to the guide on how much it costs to create a site yourself in WordPress.
Choose the name of your WordPress blog
The first thing you need to do is choose the name for your site.
I remind you that to create a website, you need both the domain and the space hosting.
The choice of name and domain is very important. Changing domain when the site is already started is in fact rather complicated and could have repercussions on the position of search engines. So think carefully about the name you want to give to your site – it will be a constant in your online presence for years to come.
Try to choose a name that is:
- Easy to remember,
- Easy to write,
- Above all, that reflects your brand or what you want to communicate with your site.
In addition, I recommend you register:
- a “top-level-domain”, that is, like the .com extension
- a domain with localized extension. So if you are targeting an Italian audience, with extension .it.
The domain extension does not affect the indexing of the site linked to it on search engines, but a more widespread extension allows it to be remembered more easily.
In recent times, sites that sell domains try to push even more particular extensions, such as .online, .company, .website, etc.
If your budget allows it and you like the extensions available, registering multiple domains is not harmful. However, I recommend that you have the domain registration with the “top-level” and localized domains as priority.
Register the chosen domain, and subscribe to the most suitable hosting plan for your WordPress blog
For create a blog wl-creative-work”>WordPress you will need a hosting plan that will also allow you to register the previously chosen domain. Most likely, you will start with a server shared: that is, you will be assigned a space within a server where other sites are located (however users will not know. Obviously they will only see your site).
As with domain registration, there are hundreds of sites where you can sign up for a plan hosting. This is an important choice, and I highly recommend that you choose a valid supplier.
For Websites Are Us, I chose SiteGround, in our opinion the best provider in the world right now: both for the power of server (so as to guarantee an excellent loading time to the pages of your website), that for support and security.
In fact, SiteGround uses cutting-edge technologies, which can guarantee a significant increase in the speed of your website compared to other hosting services. Together with tools like caching, CDN, http / 2 protocol, the performance is truly excellent.
In addition, you can rely 24 hours on 24 on a team of experts always available and ready to help you, even in Italian.
So, my suggestion regarding hosting for your WordPress blog is to rely on SiteGround, also because it is the only one that gives you access to the Site Ready offer!
Install WordPress for free and in a few clicks
Well, at this point, you will have spent only a few tens of euros and from here on you are ready to operate and create your blog for free with WordPress. First you should have domain and access to the plan hosting.
If you’ve chosen a provider like SiteGround, Bluehost, GoDaddy, etc., you probably have access to a control panel called cPanel. From here you can manage many aspects of your website, and also to install WordPress!
In most cases, there is an application for theinstallation Wizard of WordPress with a few clicks. One often available is “Quick Install“, While on other providers there is”Fantastic“. Sometimes you find the icon of directly WordPress to start the process.
Below is a video tutorial on how to take hosting and dominion, e to install WordPress on SiteGround.
Choose an ideal WordPress theme for your blog
We have come to another very important step for anyone who wants create a blog WordPress: the choice of theme.
There are themes WordPress for all needs and budgets.
First, you will have to choose whether to buy a wl-creative-work”>theme free or premium. Without a doubt, they are available themes free valid. In most cases, however, these have very limited functionality compared to premium templates.
If you choose to use a theme free, make sure it is maintained by the developer and updated regularly. Also, just use it themes present within the official WordPress repository. These templates are in fact validated by the platform development team.
Guidelines for choosing the WordPress theme
That you choose a theme premium or a theme free, follow these guidelines:
- Select a wl-creative-work”>theme that is compatible with the latest version of WordPress and that it has a good number of downloads
- Make sure the theme have a responsive layout. That is, that it is perfectly visible on screens of various sizes (mobile and tablet included). More and more users are using mobile devices to connect. Having a site optimized for mobile phones and tablets will allow you to ensure a positive experience for them.
- That it is compatible with the tools you want to use. Let me explain better: if you want create a WordPress blog multilingual, you will probably use WPML. If you plan to add eCommerce functionality, you will probably install WooCommerce (and I’ll explain how to do it in our WooCommerce course). If you want to create a forum section, you will install bbPress. Surely it is not possible to foresee all the features you will want to implement on the site, but if you already have some ideas, choose a theme that it is compatible with the tools necessary to implement them.
- For create a WordPress blog SEO optimized (i.e. for indexing on search engines) choose a theme “SEO-optimized”.
- Competition on domains and search engines is high. To make sure you’re found through organic searches, you’ll need to make sure you optimize your site and content for search engines. If your business operates primarily locally, you can use the Google tools listed in this guide to promote it.
Tips for those who are undecided
If you are undecided about which template to choose, here are my suggestions:
- For create a WordPress blog where you only want to write posts (on which you therefore do not want to implement more complex features, you can take a look at themes suggested in this guide on the best blogging themes. As free alternatives, I recommend without a doubt i themes default WordPress: like twentyfifteen, twentyfourteen, twentythirteen, etc. Find them on official WordPress site (and you can search for and install them directly from your site’s bulletin board too).
- If you want a theme that guarantees optimal performance and is fully SEO optimized, take a look at the Themeforest or TemplateMonster templates. You will find themes with an attractive design, which include many useful extensions and which, moreover, in terms of performance are truly unbeatable.
- Finally, if your goal is to start with a blog but expand your site quickly, the best choice could be a theme multifunctional. Like Enfold (also installed on Websites Are Us) or Avada.
Chosen on theme for your blog, the time has come to install it.
Install the WordPress theme
If you choose a theme free from the official directory WordPress, you can browse in Appearance> Themes and search for the template you have chosen directly from your Dashboard (before installing it, you can also test it using the functionality preview).
If instead you purchased a theme premium, after payment you will be given access to a download page from which to download the .zip folder which contains the template files.
Access your site now WordPress and browse Appearance> Themes. Then, click Add new theme and subsequently Upload Theme. Here you can upload the .zip folder, which will be automatically extracted.
Uploaded on theme, you just have to activate it! After this you are ready to start working on the various configuration options.
Create the child theme (optional)
This is an optional but recommended step. Skipping it will not in any way limit the use of your blog or WordPress. But if you have a minimum of technical knowledge or the support of a person who can help you, I suggest you try to create a theme child for your blog.